Sunday, November 23, 2008

Reasons to blog

A good friend of mine sent met last week the link to an interesting Indian blog by Bhupendra Khanal. He put my blog as one of the top 5 blogs to follow.  His assessment of my blog writing as “lazy” and “not well marketed” was very interesting. Bhupendra absolutely right; he motivated me to think again about my reasons for blogging and my audience. Here are a few thoughts:

  • I am somewhat of an unusual blogger due to my less frequent postings. My writing is more self than audience focused. Marketinggeek is for me a constant motivation to push my thinking, reworking it, and then putting it into words. It’s less about engaging with a large audience than about working on some marketing issues by myself and than publishing it. This is the reason why I don’t spend too much time on marketing the blog. Therefore I don’t care too much about my Blog ranking.
  • It seems that a large amount of reader blog comments (especially in the US) are nasty and mean spirited. I will never understand why readers post comments about the stupidity of the blog that they are reading: No one forces them to read it. I don’t want to waste my team in getting drawn into this vicious cycle of responding to negative comments. It might drive traffic and stronger blog community but I consider it unproductive and irrelevant.
  • I estimate that half of my audiences are colleagues from my company. Thjs blog helps to start conversations with my colleagues whenever I meet them. It’s unbelievable powerful tool in a company with almost 10,000 employees. It creates a sense of loose community and transparent sharing of thinking that could not be created otherwise.
  • Today’s New York Times has a good article by Sharon Otterman about a movement called “Slow Blog”. She quotes Todd Sieling, a technology consultant from Vancouover who published a “Slow Blog Manifesto” in 2006: “Slow Blogging is a rejection of immediacy. It is an affirmation that not all things worth reading are written quickly”. It seems that the fast pace of Blogging that we have seen two or three years ago moves stronger into the Twitter world. I will definitely stay stronger in the blogger world of 2005 and 2006. 

There are a lot of different reasons to blog. It might be time to outline a smart taxonomy of blogs, not by interests or disciplines but by inherent blog characteristics and blogger intentions. 

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, well, when your reason for blogging is to generate ad revenue rather than discuss ideas I guess the content doesn't really matter.

Perhaps that's why there is so much redundant crap in the blogosphere?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Bhupendra said...

Michael,
Hope you didn't mind me. It was my frank thoughts.

Thanks for your response. I enjoyed it.

-- Bhupendra

10:14 AM  
Blogger Bhupendra said...

Between the link you have given for my blog does not work. There is a spelling error in it. Instead of analyticsbhups, it has become analyticshups!!

Rgds

10:51 AM  
Blogger Sandeep Giri said...

Don't let your feelings get hurt Michael and keep blogging :-) - let this Thanksgiving remind you that slow cooking beats "fast food" almost all the time.

Good blogs IMHO are not about traffic, but about engaging your peers in thought-provoking discussions, with a good measure of humor and informality thrown in to keep things loose. And along the way, the blog should help you connect with people who care about the topic (or your "Tribe" as Seth Godin may have us believe) and the network effect ensues.

In the end, people who care will see through the redundant crap in the blogosphere and gravitate towarsd voices that are authentic. It is not so different than how we choose friends, or colleagues we'd like to have beers with.

Keep slow cooking your ideas man. I'll keep posting those negative feedbacks anonymously to keep it real :-)

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous seslisohbet said...

Thank you for sharing a nice article.
Congratulations on your posts, not go from your site successful.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Th. Brijesh Pratap Singh said...

When you love what you do then work doesn’t seem like work!If creativity is what you are all about and if animation isyour first love, then rush to ZICA today! And let yourpassion lead you!Mercedes has set the pace in taking initiatives. In August, it signed up as the automotive partner for all motor sporting events at the Budhh International Circuit in Greater Noida for two years. The Mercedes SLS AMG-with top speed of 317 km/hr-will be the 'safety car' for all racing events at the circuit. It will also provide cars to race officials.

Jaguar Ignition Coil

6:11 AM  
Blogger digitalindia said...

Hii
Nice Blog
Guys you can visit here to know about
Digital marketing agency in Mumbai


1:37 AM  
Anonymous Pani Od Emocji said...

Greeat share

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home